-Every day 4 teen girls under age 18 give birth in Polk County
-Teen pregnancy affects every citizen, parent, senior citizen, pastor, child, teacher and leader in Polk County
-Polk is 15th highest out of 67 Florida counties in birth to teens under age 18
HISTORY OF POLK TEEN PREGNANCY PREVENTION ALLIANCE (TPPA)
TPPA was established in 1994 as an action group of the Healthy Start Coalition of Hardee, Highlands and Polk Counties, Inc. TPPA is comprised of members from sectors of the community that include private business, public health, social services, law enforcement, schools and the faith community.
TPPA meets the 1st Thursday of every month. Come join us! Call 863-534-9224 for locations of meetings.
The mission of the Polk County Teen Pregnancy Prevention Alliance is to reduce the risk of pregnancy in Polk County through the collaboration of agencies and empowerment of our youth and community.
Polk TPPA is committed to creating an environment that supports parents and empowers youth to maximize their potential without the limitations imposed by pregnancy, childbearing, and parenting.
TPPA is divided into five committees:
- Steering – provides direction and determines TPPA’s Alliance’s activities
- Community Awareness – operates to raise the awareness of impact of teen pregnancy
- Effective Programs & Research – studies effective programs through evidenced based practices for implementation
- Religion & Public Values – encourages faith leaders to take action to promote awareness and prevention of pregnancy
- Youth Task Force – works with teens to promote awareness and prevention of teen pregnancies
For more information about the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Alliance please contact:
Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program Coordinator
Office 863-534-9224 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org